Since laying the cornerstone in 1922, local patroness Alice Bemis Taylor’s vision for the Colorado Springs Day Nursery still stands strong today. For over 90 years, the Day Nursery has provided comprehensive high quality early care and education for all children.
The Tudor style building on the corner of Rio Grande and Tejon in southern downtown Colorado Springs was listed on the National Register of Historic Places February 23, 1990. The Historic Day Nursery features many artistically crafted elements. Our original leaded stained glass windows were designed by G. Owen Bonawit, Inc. of New York and the glass vignettes were imported from Belgium. Mr. Bonawit, a master of secular stained glass, is credited with the painted medallions in the windows of both the Deering Library at Northwestern University and at the Sterling Memorial Library at Yale. Our oak doors are of gothic form and are framed in brick laid in irregular courses. Both inside and out, you can view the hand-hewn oak timbers with button detailing. Our slate and copper roof was restored in 2008 and on the interior, our Allen Tupper True hand-painted murals were rehabilitated in 1998. Other artistic details are found throughout the building creating the whimsy and wonder that Alice Bemis Taylor envisioned as inspiration for the children. Today, the building continues under the ownership of the same organization for which it was built and faithfully serves the children and families of Colorado Springs, Colorado.